Caregiving may be one of the most important, and challenging, roles you’ll ever take on. No matter where you are in your caregiving journey — starting to plan; taking care of a family member in your home, in a facility, or from a distance; or managing end-of-life caregiving responsibilities — having resources at your fingertips will make the process easier.
AARP developed this family caregiver guide with you, the caregiver, in mind and as a starting point to help you find the services and support you might need throughout your journey.
To order a print copy of this online guide, call the toll-free AARP Family Caregiving Resource Line at 877-333-5885 and indicate which state(s) you would like to receive. A copy will be mailed to you.
- Supporting Family Caregivers in Your State
- AARP has a website dedicated to providing you with information about how we’re advocating for caregivers in your state.
- Frederiksted Health Care, Inc. (FHC) (340-772-0260)
- FHC is a nonprofit organization providing affordable and accessible health care to the community of St. Croix. Services provided are family/ internal medicine, general dentistry, pediatric dental services, same day care/urgent care, immunizations, OB/GYN, behavioral health, STD/TB program, pediatrics, optometry, and laboratory. The clinic offers slidingfee discounts based on income and family size to make health care affordable for those who are uninsured or underinsured.
- St. Thomas East End Medical Center Corporation (STEEMCC) (340-775-3700)
- STEEMCC is nonprofit provider of primary health care services on St. Thomas. Services provided include comprehensive primary health care, OB/GYN, family medicine, oral health, behavioral health, internal medicine, immunization and laboratory work. All forms of insurance, including Medicare/ Medicaid, VA and private insurance, are accepted; no one is denied access for inability to pay.
- U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Health (DOH) St. Croix: 340-718-1311 | St. Thomas: 340-774-9000 | St. John: 340-774-6400)
- The Department of Health is the public health agency for the U.S. Virgin Islands. The DOH conducts preventive medicine programs, including maternal and child Health, family planning, environmental sanitation, mental health, and drug and substance abuse prevention. It also regulates and licenses health care providers and facilities.
- U.S. Virgin Islands State Health Insurance Assistance Program (VI SHIP) (St. Thomas/St. John: 340-774-2991, Ext. 9 | St. Croix: 340-773-6449 ext. 3151 or 3152)
- VI SHIP is the Virgin Islands local Medicare source. It provides free information and counseling to individuals, family members and caregivers on Medicare, Medigap and Medicare Rx. The office also refers Medicare beneficiaries to government or community-based organizations.
- U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Human Services ( St. Croix: 340-718-2980 | St. Thomas: 340-774-0930 | St. John: 340-776-6334)
- The VI Department of Human Services provides social services to enhance the quality of life for individuals and families. The department manages such programs as the local Medicaid/ MAP Program, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the Meals on Wheels program and programs for seniors and older adults under its Senior Citizens Affairs Division. The offices for Children, Youth and Families; Family Assistance Programs; and Residential Services are also part of the department.
Home- and Community-Based Resources
- Continuum Care, Inc. (CCI) (St. Croix: 340-718-LOVE (5683) | St. Thomas/St. John: 340-714-CARE (2273)
- CCI is the first Medicare-certified hospice in the Virgin Islands. It provides a wide range of health care services and end-of-life care in the patient’s home with the purpose of maintaining his or her maximal level of function, health and comfort.
- Hands On Care, LLC Nursing Agency (340-775-2543 or 340-514-3447 (mobile)
- Hands On Care is a private nursing agency that provides services to clients on St. Thomas and St. John. It provides professional caregivers, traveling nurses and other services, including health consultations, blood screening, evaluation of conditions to match patients with the right nursing professional, medicine delivery and more.
- AARP Foundation’s Benefits QuickLINK
- Find public benefits that can help you pay for food, medicine, health care, utilities and more by using AARP Foundation’s Benefits QuickLINK tools.
- U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Human Services – Family Assistance Programs (St. Croix: 340-718-2980 | St. Thomas: 340-774-0930 | St. John: 340-776-6334)
- The Department of Human Services provides social services to enhance the quality of life for individuals and families, including for seniors and older adults under its Senior Citizens Affairs Division. Family Assistance Programs include services to assist low-income individuals/households with the payment of their electric and gas bills; monetary aid to the elderly, disabled and blind; and reduced monthly rates for basic telephone services.
- Legal Services of the Virgin Islands (LSVI) (St. Croix: 340-718-2626 or 340-718-8593 FaceTime | St. Thomas/St. John: 340-774-6720 or 340-777-8686 FaceTime)
- LSVI is a nonprofit organization that provides free civil legal assistance to low-income, underserved individuals in the community. Client services range from aiding in relief from domestic violence issues, providing eviction defense, maintaining affordable housing, helping the Virgin Islands senior community detect financial and Medicare fraud, and providing powers of attorney. LSVI also helps older and disabled citizens plan for incapacity and end-of-life issues.
- Disability Rights Center of the Virgin Islands (DRCVI) (St. Croix: 340-772-1200 or 340-772-1280 | St. Thomas/St. John: 340-776-4303)
- DRCVI is the only territory-wide advocacy organization established by Congress that provides legal services to eligible persons with disabilities in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- The Virgin Islands Housing Authority (VIHA) (St. Thomas/St. John: 340-777-VIHA (8442) | St. Croix: 340-778-VIHA (8442)
- VIHA offers the Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP), which provides monetary assistance (vouchers) to eligible very low-income families, the elderly and persons with disabilities so they can rent affordable housing of their choice from private landlords.
- Supporting Caregivers in the Workplace
- AARP offers valuable resources to help employers create a caregiver-friendly workplace.
- Government of the Virgin Islands (GVI) – Division of Personnel (St. Thomas: 340-774-8588 | St. Croix: 340-718-8588)
- The Division of Personnel works to establish a strong, well-qualified, trained and highly motivated workforce while positioning the government of the Virgin Islands as an employer of choice. Per the new Caregiver Advise, Record, Enable (CARE) Act, government workers who are also caregivers get four paid hours off per month to provide caregiving assistance.
- The VI Department of Human Services – Senior Community Services Employment Program (SCSEP) (St. Croix: 340-718-2980 | St. Thomas: 340-774-0930 St. John: 340-776-6334)
- SCSEP provides much-needed subsidized, part-time employment for low-income residents 55 and older. The program not only allows enrollees to be involved with the community and preserve their dignity, it also provides the community the benefi t of their wisdom and life experiences.
Specific Audience Resources
- AARP Caregiving Guides
- AARP offers free caregiving guides for specific audiences, including guides for military families and LGBT individuals. The guides, also offered in Spanish and Chinese, are designed to help develop and implement a caregiving plan.
- VITRAN – Virgin Islands Transit Company (St. Croix: 340-773-1664 and 340-626-3295 | St. Thomas: 340-776-4844 and 340-201-5212 | St. John: 340-774-0165 and 340-626-4010)
- VITRAN is the territory’s public transit system. It connects riders to a technologically advanced, safe, reliable and affordable surface and water transit system, allowing connections to employment, education, health care and other essential or leisure services. Adults 60 and older and persons with a disability ride for FREE with a valid picture identification. This does not apply to the VITRAN Plus Paratransit Service.
Care for Caregivers
- Community Connections
- AARP Community Connections is a new website that offers steps to get or give help. You can organize online mutual aid groups to stay connected, share ideas and support those in need.
- Create the Good
- Create the Good connects people with volunteer opportunities and project ideas to share their life experiences, skills and passions in their communities.
- U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Human Services – Family Caregiver Support Program (St. Croix: 340-772-7100, Ext. 7056 | St. Thomas/St. John: 340-774-0930, Ext. 4484)
- The Family Caregiver Support Program offers assistance to those who care for dependent adults 60 years of age and older and relatives 55 years of age and older who are the primary caretakers of children under the age of 18. The program enables families to care for vulnerable adults at home and minimize long-term emotional and financial costs.
AARP Resources for Family Caregivers
- AARP Family Caregiving Website (en español: aarp.org/cuidar)
- AARP’s Family Caregiving website is your one-stop shop for tips and tools to help you care for a loved one. It has valuable information about handling medical issues, health records and advance directives, home safety, financial and legal issues, caregiver life balance and much more.
- AARP Family Caregiving Resource Line (877-333-5885 toll-free, en español: 888-971-2013 toll-free)
- Connect with a real person and learn how to access local resources via our toll-free family caregiving hotline.
- AARP Family Caregivers Facebook Group
- Join the AARP Family Caregivers Discussion Group on Facebook to connect, ask questions and share ideas with other family caregivers.
- Community Resource Finder
- Community Resource Finder, a joint service from the Alzheimer’s Association and AARP, is a database of dementia- and aging-related resources powered by Carelike. The online tool makes it easy to find local programs and services.
- I Heart Caregivers
- Join the thousands of family caregivers who have shared their experiences through AARP’s storytelling initiative, I Heart Caregivers. Your story will help AARP continue to fight for more support for family caregivers.
- AARP Online Caregiving Community
- Join our community and connect with other caregivers like you.
- AARP HomeFit Guide
- The AARP HomeFit Guide can help individuals and families make their current or future residence age-friendly. It can also help elected officials, policymakers and local leaders learn about and advocate for the types of housing features and designs that communities need so that their residents can live safely and comfortably and thrive.
- National Resources for Family Caregivers
- A listing of national agencies, groups and organizations that can connect family caregivers with direct services and supports.