AARP in California is gearing up for our 2015 legislative work. Part of that preparation is developing a network of advocacy volunteers to represent AARP priorities across the state. And we have a VERY large state.
With 53 Congressional , 40 Senate and 80 Assembly Districts, we have a lot of ground to cover - more than 170 districts! Our goal is to have a volunteer liaison for every elected member.
Volunteer advocates are the key to achieving positive social change in our state. If you're interested in the following activities, why not consider joining our outstanding volunteer team?
- Lobbying state and federal legislators and committees
- Contacting legislators on important issues impacting Californians
- Educating policymakers and opinion leaders
- Developing and implementing legislative strategies and regulatory initiatives
- Building AARP’s relationships with key allies and organizations
- Representing AARP before elected, appointed, and regulatory committees
- Participating in legislative coalitions
- Attending rallies
Advocacy volunteers focus on issues like health and long-term care, independent living, retirement security, and consumer protection. If you would like to act as an advocacy ambassador in your area, please contact Antoine Cook at 626-585-2608 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo courtesy of Sandy Huffaker