Apply today! Be a voice for older adults in your community.
Every day local and state leaders make critical decisions that shape the communities we live in. These decisions impact our neighborhoods for years to come, and it is vital that all voices are represented. If you are a civic minded individual looking to get involved and serve as a voice for people ages 50-plus in your community, we encourage you to apply to the AARP California Planning Academy! This free, educational program will equip you with the knowledge, skills, and connections to be an impactful leader in your community’s planning efforts.
The application period is open from May 15 – June 30, 2023.
Participants of the AARP California Planning Academy will:
- Learn local planning processes, principles, and practices, and how planning shapes our communities’ today and in the future.
- Learn about issues affecting older adults, and how local planning efforts can be leveraged to enact meaningful and positive change.
- Learn the key components of an age-friendly community.
- Be prepared to serve on a local board or commission as a voice for people ages 50-plus.
By participating in Planning Academy, you commit to:
- Completing 8 virtual sessions that will take place in fall of 2023.
- Identify open opportunities within your local communities where you are interested in serving on a board, committee, and/or commission.
- Engage in and inform public planning processes on issues such as housing, transportation, civic engagement and so forth.
No prior planning experience is required to participate in the Planning Academy, although professional planners are welcome. The Planning Academy is free, but space is limited. You will be notified by an AARP staff member of your acceptance to participate in the academy by late-July 2023. Participants will be selected based on their application.
VIRTUAL INFORMATION SESSION:
June 5, 2023 at Noon PT via Zoom
To learn more about the Planning Academy, join us for an information session as we provide you with a brief overview of the Planning Academy objectives, curriculum, and commitments. You will also have an opportunity to ask questions! Register at events.aarp.org/PAInfoSession2023.
For immediate questions, please contact Rachel Zaiden at email@example.com.