Ask volunteer Charles Everett what made him join the AARP Florida Speakers’ Bureau, and he says, “I want to give back to my community and I love to share information and knowledge.”
For volunteer speaker Sue Marcom, she joined to add new experiences, new contacts and new knowledge. “I like going to different groups, meeting new people…and learning on an on-going basis,” Marcom said. “ AARP gives us up-to-date training on the topics we present.”
Volunteers in the Greater Orlando area (Orange, Osceola and Seminole Counties) give their time as speakers. They are trained on topics that fit their interests. Many volunteers, like Everett and Marcom, regularly conducted training and gave presentations prior to retirement.
Some of the topics on which Speakers Bureau volunteers receive training:
- Social Security and Medicare: Keeping Them Strong
- Hunger in Florida: What You Can Do to Make a Difference
- Understanding the Affordable Care Act (the new health care law): What it Means to You
- State Legislative Issues: Learn Issues and AARP’s Stand
- The Many Faces of AARP – AARP is More than a Discount Card
- Create the Good and Feel Good About Helping Your Community
- Fraud Fighters – Join us to Fight Fraud in Florida (presentations begin in late October)
- Brain Fitness – (presentations begin in 2014)
A unique workshop available to groups is the Home Fit Program, which you can learn about at the following link https://states.aarp.org/home-fit-helps-you-live-in-your-home-longer/
While a 2001 Gallup poll showed four in 10 Americans feared public speaking, , AARP volunteers enjoy giving of themselves by sharing what they know. As AARP volunteer Fred Bates said, “I provide information and hope to make a difference. Most of my talks deal with Medicare, Social Security and the Tax Aide Program. Overall, people tell me they appreciate us meeting with them and providing them important information on the things we are concerned about.” Volunteer presenters can tailor sessions to meet the group’s needs: from fifteen minutes to an hour.
AARP has gifted volunteers able to present on a number of topics. They would enjoy reaching out to more groups. Please contact us about groups who would enjoy hearing our talented speakers. To schedule a presentation for your group in the Greater Orlando area, contact AARP Florida Speaker’s Bureau toll free: 866-595-7678, or email email@example.com