On Saturday, May 11, for the third year in a row, AARP Foundation’s Drive to End Hunger is sponsoring Stamp Out Hunger, the nation’s largest single-day food drive. This is the 21st year of this effort, which is led by the National Association of Letter Carriers and the U.S. Postal Service. The AARP Foundation will donate more than 15 million Drive to End Hunger- branded paper grocery bags printed in both English and Spanish.
Through the U.S. Postal Service, the Foundation’s 15 million bags will be distributed in 17 states, with 624,000 of those going Alabama.
If you are interested in finding out more about Stamp Out Hunger and how you can get involved, ask your letter carrier, contact your local post office or visit http://www.facebook.com/StampOutHunger. Follow the drive at http://www.twitter.com/StampOutHunger.
HOW TO HELP
On Saturday, May 11 you can help Alabama’s Stamp Out Hunger provide assistance to millions of Americans, including nearly 9 million older adults age 50-plus.
- If you have received a Stamp Out Hunger bag, please put non-perishable food items like peanut butter, canned soup, canned vegetables and fruit, and/or canned meat like tuna in the bag. Leave it next to your mailbox before the time your mail is delivered.
- If you don’t have a Stamp Out Hunger bag (or other paper bag), just leave the non-perishable food next to your mailbox before the time your mail is delivered.
- Your letter carrier will collect your donations and deliver them to food banks in your community.
WHY STAMP OUT HUNGER AND DRIVE TO END HUNGER ARE SO IMPORTANT
- Drive to End Hunger is AARP Foundation’s multi-year national effort to raise awareness and funds to help end hunger among people age 50+ in America.
- Millions of people struggle with hunger every day, including nearly 9 million older people, who are often forced to make the impossible choice between eating and paying for medicine, utilities or other basic needs.
- Drive to End Hunger is joining with Stamp Out Hunger to help meet the growing need of all Americans – including hungry older adults, who often suffer in silence.
- Drive to End Hunger will feature four-time NASCAR Cup Champion Jeff Gordon to help emphasize the importance of the nation’s largest single day food drive.