Caregiving may be one of the most important, and challenging, roles you’ll ever take on. No matter where you are in your caregiving journey — starting to plan; taking care of a family member in your home, in a facility, or from a distance; or managing end-of-life caregiving responsibilities — having resources at your fingertips will make the process easier.
AARP developed this family caregiver guide with you, the caregiver, in mind and as a starting point to help you find the services and support you might need throughout your journey.
To order a print copy of this online guide, call the toll-free AARP Family Caregiving Resource Line at 877-333-5885 and indicate which state(s) you would like to receive. A copy will be mailed to you.
- Supporting Family Caregivers in Your State
- Department for Aging and Independent Living (DAIL) (502-564-6930)
- DAIL oversees and manages resources for older adults and persons with disabilities and their caregivers. This state agency can provide an overview of aging and caregiver services in the state.
- Community Action Kentucky (502-875-5863)
- This statewide association supports 23 partner agencies that provide social services related to asset building and financial planning, employment, education, transportation, housing and nutrition services.
- Kentucky Long-Term Care Ombudsman (800-372-2991)
- Ombudsmen are advocates for residents of nursing homes, board and care homes, and assisted living facilities. They provide information about long-term care services and can assist with complaints.
- Department for Medicaid Services (800-635-2570)
- Through the Medicaid waiver program, older adults who are eligible for nursing home payments can apply to receive medical and support services allowing them to continue living at home.
- State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) (877-293-7447 toll-free)
- SHIP provides one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families. The agency can help with obtaining benefits, filing claims and understanding health care options.
- Kynect (855-306-8959 toll-free)
- Kynect helps Kentucky’s families easily access health insurance and public assistance benefits information through an online application and account.
Home- and Community-Based Resources
- Adult Protective Services (APS) (800-752-6200)
- APS provides education about and investigates allegations of abuse and neglect. Forms of abuse include physical, sexual, verbal and financial exploitation.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (855-306-8959 toll-free)
- SNAP, formerly known as food stamps, provides monthly nutritional assistance to people who have low income and limited assets to pay for food. SNAP also provides nutritional education.
- AARP Foundation Benefits QuickLINK
- Find public benefits that can help you pay for food, medicine, health care, utilities and more by using the AARP Foundation Benefits QuickLINK tool.
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) (800-456-3452)
- LIHEAP provides financial assistance to help low-income households meet their home heating and/or cooling needs.
- Kentucky Prescription Assistance Program (KPAP) (800-633-8100)
- KPAP helps Kentuckians locate free or reduced-cost prescription drugs.
- Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (KTAP) (855-306-8959 toll-free)
- KTAP provides fi nancial and medical assistance to needy dependent children and the parents or relatives with whom the children live. KTAP also helps family members fi nd jobs or get training that leads to a job.
- AppalReD Legal Aid (866-277-5733 toll-free)
- This nonprofit law fi rm provides free civil legal services to eligible low-income and vulnerable people in eastern and south-central Kentucky.
- Kentucky Legal Aid (270-782-5740)
- Kentucky Legal Aid provides free civil legal services to people living in poverty, the disabled and senior citizens in southwestern Kentucky.
- Legal Aid of the Bluegrass (859-431-8200)
- The organization provides legal assistance to low-income families with children, the elderly, the vulnerable and veterans in northern and central Kentucky.
- Legal Aid Society (502-584-1254)
- Legal Aid Society provides free civil legal assistance to low-income Kentuckians who have legal issues related to home, income/ employment, family, safety and has special programs to assist seniors.
- Supporting Caregivers in the Workplace
- AARP offers valuable resources to help employers create a caregiver-friendly workplace.
- Human Service Transportation Delivery (HSTD) program (888-941-7433 toll-free)
- Non-emergency medical transportation services are available through HSTD, a regional brokerage system.
- ITNBluegrass (ITN) (859-252-8665)
- ITNBluegrass provides transportation to people 60 years and older or individuals with visual impairments in Fayette and Northern Jessamine County.
- Homeless & Housing Coalition of Kentucky (HHCK) (502-223-1834)
- HHCK works to end homelessness and create opportunities for low-income Kentuckians to live in affordable homes through programs and advocacy.
- Kentucky Housing Corporation (KHC) (502-564-7630)
- KHC invests in affordable housing solutions by offering programs and services designed to develop, preserve and sustain affordable housing throughout the state.
- Metropolitan Housing Coalition (502-584-6858)
- The Metropolitan Housing Coalition is a nonprofit that works on behalf of fair, decent and affordable housing in the Louisville metropolitan region.
Specific Audience Resources
- AARP Caregiving Guides
- SAGE of the Bluegrass (502-893-0788)
- SAGE of the Bluegrass strives to build a sense of community and provide services and support that enhance the quality of life of the older LGBTQ community.
Care for Caregivers
- Community Connections
- Create the Good
- Family Caregiver Support Programs (502-564-6930)
- Family Caregiver Support Programs offer a wide range of services for caregivers, including information about resources, assistance accessing services, counseling and training.
- VA Caregiver Support (855-260-3274 toll-free)
- The caregiver support program provides caregivers of veterans with resources, training, education, advice and support.
AARP Resources for Family Caregivers
- AARP Family Caregiving Website (en español: aarp.org/cuidar)
- AARP Family Caregiving Resource Line (877-333-5885 toll-free, en español: 888-971-2013 toll-free)
- AARP Family Caregivers Facebook Group
- Community Resource Finder
- I Heart Caregivers
- AARP Online Caregiving Community
- Join our community and connect with other caregivers like you.
- AARP HomeFit Guide
- National Resources for Family Caregivers