AARP Kentucky and Kentucky Retired Teachers Association thank you again for supporting our Grandparent Essay Contest for the 2022-23 School Year.
Please submit your school winner HERE (Online Form) by December 15, 2022.
Contest Forms for RTA Presidents and Essay Chairpersons
Grandparent of the Year Essay Contest Guidelines 2022-23
Grandparent of the Year Essay Contest 2022-23 Guidelines (download printable PDF)
SUBJECT: “Why my Grandparent should be the AARP Kentucky Grandparent of the Year”
ELIGIBILITY: Contest is administered by the Kentucky Retired Teachers Association and is for 5th graders in Kentucky public schools.
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS (must meet ALL criteria to proceed):
- Must be an original work of the author, handwritten on one side only, on white, lined 8”x11” paper
- 300-500 words in length, written in English (Every word -a, in, the, etc.- counts towards the word count).
- Essay must be written about (only) one grandparent or surrogate grandparent, (e.g. someone the child considers to be “like a grandparent”) who is alive at the time the essay is written.
- Include full name of Grandparent or surrogate grandparent on completed essay.
- Include the components of a formal essay (introduction, supporting points and conclusion).
- Name and school of the author must be written at the end of the essay.
- The winning essay from each school must be submitted with an official entry form. The entry forms can be photocopied.
Grandparent of the Year Essay Contest Deadlines 2022-23
- School winner deadline: December 15, 2022
- County winner deadline: January 31, 2023
- District winner deadline: March 1, 2023
State winner will be announced at the Kentucky Retired Teachers Association (KRTA) Annual Meeting in April 2023. Entries postmarked or received at the AARP Kentucky State Office after the stated deadlines cannot be considered.
Judging Criteria & Awards:
- Qualifying characteristics of nominee as a grandparent or surrogate grandparent 60%
- Creativity & Expression 20%
- Grammar, Form & Neatness 20%
School winner: Chosen by 5th grade teachers from the submitting school. There can be only one school winner per school; both the participating school and its winner will receive a certificate. If only one school in a county participates, then the School winner is automatically the County winner.
County winner: Chosen by the RTA Local President and/or Unit. Each County winner will receive a certificate and embossed cover. If there is only one county in the District, then the County winner is automatically the District winner.
District Winner: Chosen by KRTA District President and/or officers. Each District winner will receive a plaque and a $50 award.
State Winner: Chosen by a panel of state level KRTA and AARP officials. The state winner will receive a plaque, a $100 award and an expense paid trip (by AARP) to the KRTA Convention. The winning student’s teacher will receive a check for $150 towards school supplies.
Send questions via e-mail to email@example.com