AARP Eye Center
AARP and the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) have specifically designed this wilderness expedition for intrepid AARP members and qualifying family members who are interested in exploring their “Real Possibilities.” If you are seeking opportunities to learn new leadership skills, exercise creative solutions in a unique context and travel in a beautiful wilderness mountain range, then read on…
The Wind River Range is the site for this expedition. This rugged, glacier-carved range is renowned for its sheer granite walls and famous for its fishing. For 7 days, you'll backpack through these mountains surrounded by towering peaks, glistening alpine lakes, and perennial snow, all with the help of some friendly Llamas.
Having pack animals will help lighten your load and provide an opportunity to learn about traveling with livestock in the mountains. You’ll start traveling slowly to get used to the weight, new boots, and the elevation. As the group becomes acclimatized, the pace will increase and hiking distances will grow. You’ll get lots of coaching from your instructors while you learn new skills. Before you know it, you’ll be savoring homemade pizza and cinnamon rolls—gourmet delicacies that you made from scratch on a single-burner stove.
- Practice “Life Reimagined,” reflect on your personal leadership experience and discover new ways to employ that knowledge
- Practice expedition leadership; develop competency in wilderness travel skills, risk management techniques, campcraft, and backcountry cooking – skills important for future backcountry trips with family and friends
- Share a remote adventure and develop lasting relationships with other AARP members and qualifying family members
- Re-awaken your lens of wonder for the natural world, and enjoy first-hand one of the most beautiful and pristine wilderness areas in North America
- Recharge yourself through enjoyable extended outdoor living and travel – learn to care for yourself, others, the equipment, and of course, the llamas
Dates: August 9-14, 2015
Duration: 7 days
Location: Lander, WY
Fly in/out: Riverton, WY
Activity: Backpacking – Wind River Mountain Range
Gear: Group gear provided (tents, cookware, llamas and other group gear)
Personal gear for rent or purchase (please see equipment list for more details)
Mileage: 30-40 miles, on- and off-trail
Tuition: $2200 (includes AARP discount - Discount code is NOLSAARP815)
Deposit: $500 due March 30, 2015
Balance Due: $1700 plus enrollment packet, health form, participant agreement, and insurance form due by April 27,2015
Equipment Deposit: $200 due by April 27, 2014
Since 1965, NOLS has taught leadership, outdoor skills, risk management, and environmental studies on expeditions to more than 200,000 participants. These expeditions include a complete leadership curriculum, using the same model with which we train space station astronauts and shuttle crews.
To register as an AARP member for the discounted price, use the discount code NOLSAARP815 when you contact NOLS Professional Training at 800-710-NOLS, ext. 2720 or visit bit.ly/NOLSAARP.