Are you ready for tax season? Yes, it’s that time of year – and once again, AARP Foundation Tax-Aide is here to help.
What is Tax-Aide? It’s the nation’s largest free, volunteer-run tax preparation and assistance program. Since 1968, Tax-Aide has helped nearly 50 million taxpayers with federal, state, and local tax returns. In California, almost 3,000 trained and IRS-certified volunteers helped 187,461 taxpayers receive more than $93 million in income tax refunds and nearly $19 million through the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) just last year!
Who can use Tax-Aide’s services? Tax-Aide is designed to serve low- and moderate-income tax payers, with a special focus on taxpayers age 60 and older. However, no one who needs help is turned away. You don’t need to be retired or an AARP member to use the service.
Where can I find Tax-Aide sites? There are more than 400 Tax-Aide sites located throughout California. You can find one near you by visiting www.aarp.org/findtaxhelp or by calling toll-free 1-888-227-7669.
Do I need an appointment? Because the service is so popular, it’s best to make an appointment in advance. A contact number for each site is available online or when you call toll-free; call the site directly to set up your appointment.
Is assistance available in additional languages? Yes, some sites offer assistance in additional languages, including Spanish, Tagalog, and Chinese, among others. Details are available for each site online or when you call toll-free.
When will Tax-Aide sites be open? Tax-Aides sites opened up on February 1 st and volunteers will be available to help until April 15 th.
What do I need to bring with me? You will need to bring the following types of documentation and information to begin the tax return process:
- Government issued identification
- Last year's tax return
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents
- Checkbook or pre-printed direct deposit information (for direct deposit of tax refunds)
- Family health insurance coverage information, including information about Marketplace/Exchange purchases, and health care exemptions (Note: For taxpayers on Medicare or Medicare Advantage for the full year, no further information is required)
- Other valuable information needed: income, payments, and credits you wish to claim
A full list of documents you should bring with you is available on the Tax-Aide site.
Don’t wait – find a site near you by visiting www.aarp.org/findtaxhelp or by calling toll-free 1-888-227-7669 and make an appointment today.