AARP AARP States New Hampshire Press

Looking for Tax Help?

W-2 form

Looking for tax help?  Book an appointment with an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Counselor.  Now through April 15, AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, the nation’s largest, volunteer-run, free tax preparation program is still helping New Hampshire taxpayers with their federal tax returns. 

Available to most middle- and low-income taxpayers, with special attention given to those 60 and older, AARP Foundation Tax-Aide provides face-to-face assistance at 50 locations across the Granite State. 

“Last year, Tax-Aide volunteers helped nearly 18,000 New Hampshire residents in 12,000 households file their federal income tax returns, bringing in over $12 million in refunds,” said Jan Nedelka, AARP Tax-Aide state coordinator.  “All of our volunteer tax counselors has passed IRS certification exams, are well trained, and focus on helping taxpayers identify all the tax credits and deductions for which they may qualify.” 

There are nearly 50 locations in New Hampshire; many have evening and weekend hours and all sites are handicap accessible.  Counselors at some locations can also provide guidance regarding eligibility for property tax abatements from cities and towns.  Some sites will reopen briefly in May or June to help file New Hampshire property tax rebates. 

To find the best time and location, use one of these options:

(1)   Visit

(2)   Call 1-888-AARPNOW (1 888 227 7669)

(3)   Check out the site schedule

(4)   Call 211, New Hampshire’s statewide resource number. 

Taxpayers must bring these tax-related documents when they get their tax returns prepared:

  • Social Security number/cards for themselves and all dependents;
  • Proof of identity (photo ID)
  • W-2 forms from each employer;
  • Unemployment compensation statements;
  • All 1099 forms, including Social Security, banks, brokerage, pensions, etc.  For a 1099-B, please bring documentation showing the purchase price of assets sold;
  • All forms indicated federal income tax withheld or paid;
  • Child care provider information (name, employer ID, Social Security numbers);
  • All receipts or cancelled checks, if itemizing deductions;
  • A copy of last year’s return; and
  • Personal check if direct depositing tax refund, with bank checking account and routing numbers. 


“Filing your 2012 federal tax return doesn’t have to be a difficult or costly experience,” concluded Nedelka.  “Our IRS-certified volunteers earn high marks in customer satisfaction, year after year.  So, if you’re stressed with tax day right around the corner, or just don’t see the sense in paying someone when you can get it done for free, come see us.  Just dial 2-1-1 to find a location nearest you.”  

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide is administered by the AARP Foundation in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service.  Not all forms of income (such as rental income) or tax returns are eligible for this service.  The AARP Foundation is an affiliated, 501(c)(3) nonpartisan, charitable organization established in 1961.  To learn more, visit


About AARP New Hampshire
Contact information and more from your state office. Learn what we are doing to champion social change and help you live your best life.