AARP Eye Center
Many times, resources are more readily available than you think. You just have to know where to look. Below are some key resources that AARP has been working to provide for you.
- AARP Smart Driver
- What is it? – A defensive driving course focusing on the rules of the road, driving situation techniques, and how to handle aggressive drivers. Those who enroll may be eligible for a discount of 5% on car insurance.
- Who can use it? – Everybody! Although members will receive a small additional discount on the cost of the course.
- For More Information - To sign up, call 1-888-AARP-NOW (1-888-227-7669) or visit www.aarp.org/drive.
- Tax Aide
- What is it? – A free tax assistance and preparation service to help individuals file their taxes.
- Who can use it? – Everybody! But it is especially geared toward moderate- and low-income taxpayers over 65 years old.
- For More Information - To sign up, call 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) or visit www.aarp.org/taxaide.
- New Jersey Prescription Drug Price Registry
- What is it? – A free service that saves you money by providing a list of 150 of the most commonly prescribed drugs and what they cost at pharmacies throughout New Jersey.
- Who can use it? – Everybody!
- For More Information – Contact the Division of Consumer Affairs at 1-800-242-5846 or visit www.njdrugprices.nj.gov.
- Long Term Care (LTC): Global Options
- What is it? – Provides assistance and information for caregivers through an AARP-supported program, Global Options.
- Who can use it? – Anybody who is a caregiver or in need of Long Term Care service.
- For More Information: Call 1-877-222-3737, and your call will be routed to your County Area Office on Aging where you can ask about available assistance for you or your loved one. Or visit www.state.nj.us/health/senior/go.shtml.
- Energy Assistance Programs (LIHEAP, NJ SHARES, AHA)
- What is it? – Programs that assist individuals with energy-related public benefits such as electric and heating utlity bills
- Who can use it? – These programs are primarily for low to moderate income and/or disabled individuals.
- For More Information: Call the Affordable Housing Alliance (AHA) at 732-389-2204 or go to www.housingall.org. If your service is already shut off, call NJSHARES at 1-866-657-4273.
- Property Tax Relief
- What is it? – A program that provides tax relief to those eligible
- Who can use it? – This is specifically for the 65 years and older households with less than $70k in household income.
- For more information – Call 1-800-882-6597 or visit www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/propfrez.shtml.