AARP Eye Center
Fall 2014 update: We are no longer looking for an intern at this time. Please continue reading our blog for future opportunities!
Those interested should send a resume and a short paragraph about why there is interest in the position to AARP Maryland's Director of Communications, Tresa Ballard, at email@example.com. If you have questions, please email Ms. Ballard or call her at 410-895-7610.
Are you an undergraduate looking for some real-world internship experience in the field of traditional and digital communications (like Facebook and Twitter)? AARP Maryland is offering a paid, exciting, entry-level internship that supports the AARP Maryland Communications Team! We are a small group, so this intern will have the opportunity to execute real work, attend actual events, make a difference and develop actual hands on experience. Our summer intern will experience the communication/social aspect of initiatives of AARP at the local level by working for 16 hours per week over the summer months with staff and volunteers in the field in a variety of areas.
Projects will include:
• Supporting the update and maintenance of information for AARP volunteers, members, partners, legislators and the public;
• Supporting AARP volunteers and staff at local events, including forums, news conferences and lobby days spotlighting AARP state issues;
• Shooting, editing and sharing online videos, photo albums, etc. that foster conversations among followers using iPhone/iPad technology;
• Developing and maintaining a photo and video library of AARP images and footage to date;
• Scheduling social media posts/tweets using programs including HootSuite, Buffer, and Spredfast;
• Writing and posting blog stories to official AARP Maryland state blog using WordPress;
• Live tweeting and posting during statewide events using tools such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Vine;
• Writing and proofreading media releases, newsletter stories and blog posts;
• Assisting with building media lists by searching the web and scanning local newspapers for connections to our issues;
• Developing library of visual ads for use in different print and online publications over the course of 2014;
• Support for the planning and execution of other, to be determined, Communications tactics/projects
• Strong writing skills with grammatical accuracy;
• Experience with project management;
• Strong familiarity with and active use of social media including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google Plus, Vine and Instagram;
• Experience conducting research online;
• Organizational skills;
• Self-driven and enthusiastic;
• Communications/Public Relations background preferred
Those interested should send a resume and a short paragraph about why there is interest in the position to AARP Maryland's Director of Communications, Tresa Ballard, at firstname.lastname@example.org.