Securely disposing of documents that contain your personal information—such as bank statements, canceled checks, receipts and credit-card junk mail—is one way to avoid becoming a fraud victim.
AARP New York is hosting contactless shred-a-thons, open to the public. They will be held:
- April 22 in Syracuse (10 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
- April 23 in Utica (9 a.m. to noon) and Rochester (10 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
- April 24 in Saratoga Springs (9 a.m. to noon)
- April 28 in Staten Island (9 a.m. to noon)
- April 30 in Poughkeepsie (9 a.m. to noon) and Buffalo (10 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
- May 7 in Albany (9 a.m. to noon)
The office will also offer virtual fraud prevention presentations throughout the spring.
To register, visit aarp.org/NYStopScams.