AARP Eye Center
In keeping with our 30- year tradition of issue-oriented voter engagement, AARP has launched “Take a Stand,” a campaign to urge all Presidential candidates to offer their plans to update Social Security to put it on sound financial ground for future generations.
Social Security is a promise that’s been kept for 80 years—but in order to keep that promise for future generations, Social Security needs to be updated for the 21st Century. If our leaders don’t act, future retirees will face an estimated loss of $4,000 to $10,000 a year.
“As the first in the nation caucus state, AARP members are keenly interested in what the candidates have to say about this,” said Kent Sovern, AARP’s Iowa state director.
As part of the campaign, AARP is hosting Take A Stand workshops for has invited the all Presidential candidates to come and speak about their plans to updateSocial Security with members of both political parties..
Please click on the “Take A Stand” location nearest you for more information and to register.
• Nov. 13 in Sioux City at Sioux City Convention Center from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
• Nov. 18 in Cedar Rapids at the Hotel at Kirkwood Center from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
• Nov. 20 in Davenport at Radisson Quad City Plaza from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
• Dec. 7 in Des Moines at the Windsor Heights Community Center from 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
• Dec. 9 in Des Moines at the Windsor Heights Community Center from 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
• *Date change - Dec. 11 event is now Jan. 6, 2016 in Dubuque at Grand River Center from 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
• *Date change - Dec.15 event is now Jan. 7, 2016 in Waterloo-Cedar Falls at Clarion Hotel from 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
In addition to the workshops, AARP has launched an Iowa Caucuses Social Security Outreach Team to engage greater number of Iowa members in our grassroots efforts to keep Social Security front and center with the presidential candidates. The team’s primary activity is working with member volunteers to call all likely AARP Iowa members caucus-goers to urge them to ask candidates about their plans to update Social Security.
To learn more about our Take A Stand Program in Iowa, please view this video and see what our volunteers are saying.