AARP Eye Center
The AARP Texas Legislative Champion Awards honor state lawmakers who demonstrate through their legislative activities a commitment to advancing issues important to older Texans and their families.
The 2023 recipients are: State Reps. Trent Ashby (R-Lufkin), Toni Rose (D-Dallas), James Talarico (D-Austin); State Sens. Cesar Blanco (D-El Paso), and Lois Kolkhorst (R-Brenham).
“AARP Texas achieved significant wins for Texans 50-plus in 2023, and the results are, in part, due to the creativity, dedication, hard work and caring spirit of this year’s legislative champions,” said AARP Texas Director Tina Tran. “On behalf of AARP’s more than 2.3 million members in Texas, I gratefully thank these public servants for their tireless work and applaud them for their efforts.”
- Rep. Trent Ashby is honored for his leadership and work to increase digital connectivity for older Texans and their families.
- Rep. Toni Rose is recognized for passing legislation that will ensure state agencies collaborate and better plan services for older Texans well into the future.
- Rep. James Talarico is honored for the authorship and successful efforts in passing a new law to lower prescription drug prices for Texans.
- Sen. Cesar Blanco is recognized for his collaborative efforts to fight hunger and expand access to healthcare for all Texans.
- Sen. Lois Kolkhorst is honored for working to improve the quality of care for vulnerable Texans and residents of nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.
Here's more on how AARP Texas helped to advance at the Texas Legislature issues important to older Texans and their families:
- New Texas laws showcase how AARP Texas fought for you.
- 2023 Legislative session delivers wins for older Texans.