AARP offers a growing seminar series for people 50+ to find engaging, trustworthy and relevant information that will help baby boomers make knowledgeable decisions about what lies ahead.
Boomer Academy is specifically designed for residents 50-69 who want useful information on topics of interest and relevance, as they navigate the 50+ years. “School” is in session at these events at convenient times – many Boomer Academy events are on Saturday mornings – and events usually runs for four hours.
Seminars consist of four sessions, in which local thought leaders provide meaningful information about topics such as Medicare, Social Security, fitness and technology.
What makes the Boomer Academy unique is the positive feedback it receives from attendees. The sessions are catered to the needs of the individual community it takes place in. Members are asked what topics and information interests them the most, and the Boomer Academy delivers local experts in those fields that want to help baby boomers ease into choices affecting them in the 50+ years.
Boomer Academy is a free event offered in the Tallahassee, Jacksonville and Greater Orlando areas that gives people the opportunity to get inspiration for their life.
Tallahassee’s Boomer Academy will begin on Jan. 29 at 4 p.m. Topics of focus include:
- Time Management: How to be in control of your calendar.
- Planning for Retirement: The Social & Legal Side of Planning: Hear from law experts about a different side of retirement.
- Life Reimagined: A powerful step-by-step approach to help you discover possibilities.
- Online Privacy & Your Personal Data: A Crash Course for Boomers: Hear how you can keep your information safe in the ever-evolving world of technology.
To find out more, or to register click here. Tallahassee events are scheduled twice a month, so don’t worry about missing class.
Jacksonville’s Boomer Academy will begin on January 31 at 8 a.m. Topics of interest include:
- Social Security 101: Learn what the best benefit choices are for you.
- Boomer Law Segment: Protect yourself and your family.
- Medicare Patrol: Preventing Medicare fraud.
Bring four nonperishable food items for the Jacksonville food bank and get a free copy of Social Security for Dummies, Retirement Planning for Women or Medicare for Dummies, free while supplies last at this Boomer Academy. Click here to register.
Greater Orlando’s Boomer Academy will take place at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, March 21. Topics will focus on:
- Keep the Boom in Boomer and the Fun in Fitness: Improve your strength, flexibility and balance to keep you feeling your best.
- Exercise Your Creativity: Give your brain a work out and learn how to live more creatively.
- Medicare 101: Learn about the logistics of Medicare and where you can find more resources.
- Boomer Nutrition: Get that Good Gut Feeling: Learn about the importance of adding fiber and probiotics to your diet and how to incorporate them.
Attendees can choose two out of the four workshops on a first-come, first-serve basis. Don’t forget to pre-register here.
Each session will have an evaluation period at the end of the seminar, where questions, concerns and suggestions are welcome. This will help AARP Florida maximize your experience at the next session and bring you topics you want to learn about.
“It’s a fun and engaging way to share information that people may not realize is important until they’re faced with it,” said Leslie Spencer, AARP Tallahassee’s local leader. “We listen to what you want to learn about, and then we find the best way to provide it.”